Saturday, July 10, 2010

Flowers

They are amazing things, aren't they? I'm pretty sure there isn't a color on earth that you can't find in a flower.

My friend Roni over at the My Life at 50mm blog does an AMAZING job with flowers and so at  a recent outing I tried my hand and shooting them. I'm no Roni, but it's also tough to flip a 70-200 lens backwards!

Shooting flowers really requires only a couple of things, at least as far as I can tell. First, a different perspective (standing over a flower and taking it's pictures is well...done already). The second is trying to capture what it is about the flower that makes it worth taking a picture of.

Is it a great blending of different colors?

Does it have a really cool shape that allows for some creativity just in shooting it?


Or, does it give you a chance to capture just the flower and isolate it from the rest of the world?



Just my thoughts.

Mitch

3 comments:

  1. Mitch,

    You are just too sweet! Thank you for the shout out. You are doing such a beautiful job with that lens!! I find myself more and more impressed with every new photo you post. You must be really enjoying using it. I've added it to my long list of lens upgrades.:)

    You are so right about perspectives. I love to shoot just one flower from a zillion different angles. It's really quite something to see them that way. There really is an essence to a flower..a personality of sorts. Seeing them from behind a lens, opens that up. I can't seem to get enough of it.:)

    And NO. I can't imagine you ever wanting to turn that 70-200 in reverse. I still sometimes cringe doing it with my cheap lenses...I could never stomach it with your beauty.

    Lovely lovely photos and thank you again for the kind words.:) I look forward to following your blog.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the post. great photos, nice and sharp great DOF and awesome colours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still.....waiting......for........next........post.......zzzzzzzzz lol

    ReplyDelete