Sunday, July 10, 2011

Purple Haze

Purple Haze by Brian E Mitchell
Purple Haze, a photo by Brian E Mitchell on Flickr.
1/500 200mm f3.5 0EV

Yep, it's a flower and yes, I like this shot very much.

I don't talk very much about the technical aspects of how I get shots like this because, well, to anybody but photographers, the techie stuff is really not all that interesting. But I want to chat about this one for a bit.

This shot was taken in 1/500th of a second. Let that sink in for a second. Is there anything else that you can think of that happens that fast that you can see? But here, you can. Right at the top of this post is what 1/500th of a second looks like.

Would this picture look the same if it had been taken 1/500th earlier or 1/1000th later? Honestly, I don't know.

Light changes, wind blows, people walk by, shadows shift. All of those things can change and make the next frame completely different. Enough for it to really change this small of an amount of time. I don't know that either.

What I do know is this. This 1/500th of a second in time has been captured, maybe for eternity.

If any of you have been thinking about picking up a camera at the store, or digging the old one out of the closet and dusting it off, DO IT! You can get a shot that lasts forever, and it may only take 1/500th of a second to make it happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment