Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Footprint on a Feather

Lonely Feather by Brian E Mitchell
Lonely Feather, a photo by Brian E Mitchell on Flickr.
1/3200 140mm f2.8 0EV


Every year during The Presentation Summit, http://www.betterppt.com/summit/, photographer +Rikk Flohr leads some of the attendees on a photography "field trip". Last year's summit was in San Diego and we spent the field trip walking along Mission Beach. This, for me was the first time I had a chance to really give my 70-200 f2.8 lens a workout and it is amazing how a different lens can change your perspective.

Prior to this I was shooting exclusively with a 17-40 wide angle. I saw the world like that, the big picture. Yeah, you can get in close with a 17-40 but I was a wide angle shooter! What I learned with the new lens is that the details, the small details, should not be overlooked.

I think this shot shows that. I don't know if the person walking down the beach saw this feather, but most likely not. They saw the big picture around them and completely missed the small details.

Food for thought, I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment